- That depends on the auger model you choose. Some augers, like our Extended Length Bulb Auger, offer different length options as well as options to optimize your auger’s performance by choosing the drive and tip – see below for an explanation of our options.
- 3/8-inch Hex Drive – This is the best choice for homeowners as it fits most drills with standard drill chucks. These augers include an industry leading non-slip hex drive and they are designed to maximize the typical job a homeowner conquers while taking into consideration the most common-sized drill homeowners are likely to own.
- 1/2-inch Hex Drive – This provides the most surface area and gripping surface for a 1/2-inch professional-grade drill. The 1/2-inch hex drive prevents slippage when augers encounter harder soils, rockier soils, and soil with small roots.
- 1/2-inch Hex Drive with Heavy Duty Tip – This is designed for professional landscapers and grounds maintenance contractors who are likely to encounter less-than-ideal soil conditions on a regular basis. Our Heavy Duty Tips are made from military-grade abrasion resistant material – perfect to tackle soil comprised of sand, small rocks, roots and other debris. These tips provide longer-lasting power for the auger.
- Adaptable Tube Drive – These augers are our most versatile – they are recommended for professional landscapers and maintenance crews. Adaptable Tube Drives allow one auger to fit multiple drills or powerheads of different brands easily by using one of our Auger Adapters. Doing this protects your equipment (and for many contractors, your livelihood) in the event a landscaper hits something hard with the auger and strips out the hex. Simply replace the Hex Adapter instead of replacing the entire auger – this will save you time, money and efficiency.
- Our Tube Drive augers feature a 1-inch inside diameter. Powerheads with a 1-inch outside diameter shaft will fit these augers without an adapter – simply pin the auger powerhead directly to your auger.
- Adaptable Tube Drive with Heavy Duty Tip – These augers are our most rugged and versatile – they combine the versatility of the Adaptable Tube Drive (see above) with the durability of our Heavy Duty Tips (made out of military-grade abrasion resistant material). This gives you the ability to conquer many different soil conditions and tackle bigger, tougher landscaping projects. Not only that, the Heavy Duty Tip on these augers is replaceable, as is the leading portion of the auger bit – this makes it easier and more cost efficient to keep your equipment performing at its best.
- Our augers have many different uses in addition to drilling soil for planting and landscaping. Here are some examples:
- Installing beach umbrellas and beach volleyball nets
- Drilling holes to install termite bait stations
- Mixing small batches of cement and mortar
- Boring under sidewalks (horizontally)
- Cleaning clogged PVC drainage pipes
- Digging holes for small game traps
- Post hole digging for fence posts
- Installing a sand fence or a snow fence
- Installing soil moisture probes
- Installing real estate signs
- Anchors or stakes for trees
- Tilling small planter boxes
- Taking soil samples
- Mixing polymers in soil
- Mixing fertilizer
- Mixing paints
- And more!
- Visit our blog for more information and ideas
- Our Auger Adapters fit our Adaptable Tube Drive augers.
- The Hex Adapter enables our Tube Drive augers to fit any 1/2-inch drill chuck.
- The Threaded Adapter enables our Tube Drive augers to fit a Stihl® BT45 or similar powerhead.
Power & Safety Questions
- You will need to purchase a drill or an auger powerhead to power your auger.
- Be aware of the capabilities of your drill or powerhead. Long length and large diameter augers drill bigger and deeper holes, but they will not perform well if you don’t have the minimum power required for successful operation.
- View our Auger Guide for more information on minimum power requirements. Please keep in mind that these are only suggestions – we are not experts in soil composition and specific conditions may vary.
- Run the auger at a slow speed to avoid twisting if the auger bit gets caught
- Use caution and be aware of underground sprinklers and utilities
- Safety glasses are recommended while the auger is in use
- Follow power unit manufacturer safety instructions
- Use an electric drill with a side handle for safety
- Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry
- Be alert and use common sense
- Watch this getting started video
- Power Planter augers will drill through loose, rocky material. DO NOT attempt to drill through solid rock.
- No, you must purchase your own drill or powerhead separately.
- We do not recommend using our augers with impact drivers or SDS drivers. Power Planters are not made to fit quick-attach drill chucks. Our hex drive augers are meant to be hand- or chuck key-tightened into the drill chuck for safety.
- Our hex drive augers are only compatible with drills that have standard 3-jawed drill chucks. They are not compatible with spline-type drills or rotary hammer drills. Contact us if you have additional questions on what type of drill to use to power your auger.
Recommendations & Custom Orders
- We recommend professionals use our Adaptable Tube Drive augers with a the corresponding auger adapter for the power equipment used.
- Our two best-selling models for homeowners are the 3” x 7” Bulb Auger & Bedding Plant Tool and the 2” x 7” Garden Planting Auger & Grass Plug Tool – our Homeowner Starter Pack includes both – how convenient!
- For homeowners who want to tackle do-it-yourself projects like mixing and tilling soil – we highly recommend our 3” x 12” DIY Guru Auger.
- We do accept some custom order requests – please contact us with your request to learn more (typical custom order requests include asking for more or less flighting, more welds, or custom lengths).
Shipping & Payment Questions
- We ship via USPS and UPS. All shipping options will be listed on the checkout page. We charge only what we are charged for shipping – we never charge for handling and packaging.
- Most orders are shipped within 24 hours. You will receive an email confirmation with tracking information once your order ships.
- You can contact us directly by using the contact form, or by calling 217-379-2614.
Yes. We ship to a limited amount of international countries via UPS. Receivers of international shipments are responsible for paying any import tax or other fees associated with international shipping.
Australia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, UK, US, and the Vatican.
- Yes. Accepted returns include a full refund of the product purchase price. Unfortunately, we cannot refund any shipping charges. Visit Our Guarantee to learn more.
- For success planting potted plants – choose an auger diameter 1 inch larger than the pot you’re using.
- Convert our Adaptable Tube Drive augers to fit a 1/2-inch drill chuck or a 1/2-inch National Fine threaded drive drill easily with one of our Auger Adapters.
- Visit our blog for success stories, guidance and ideas on how to use our augers.
- Cleaning your auger is recommended before storing it.
- Augers are welded by hand to guarantee quality.
- Augers are 100% made in the United States, with US sourced materials.
- If you would like to subscribe or unsubscribe from our mailing list please visit our subscriptions page. If you recently ordered from PowerPlanter.com, you may receive some emails related to your shipment even if you have unsubscribed.