Did you know that many plumbing professionals like using an auger to unclog a drain? This is because removing clogs with an auger is often faster and easier than other methods available. If you’re having issues with a sewer line, this may be a way that you can remove the clog yourself without having to spend hundreds or thousands on a plumber to dig up the drain line and remove the clog manually. Here’s a quick look at how it’s done.
How to Use an Auger to Unclog a Drain
When dealing with clogged sewer and drainage lines, using a drain auger can be a quick and cost-effective solution. It’s important to note that the types of augers used for this application are different from those designed for unclogging toilets or pipes with bends and P-traps. Here, we focus on how to auger a drain specifically designed for straight sewer and drainage lines.
Steps for Drain Augering
- Identify the Drain Type: First, determine the size and type of the drain you’re trying to unclog. This will help you select the right auger for the job.
- Prepare the Area: Before you begin drain augering, disassemble the portion of the drain line that is nearest to the clog. This will give you direct access to the problem area.
- Attach Auger to Drill: Securely attach your drain auger to a power drill. Make sure the connection is tight to prevent any accidents.
- Insert the Auger: Carefully insert the auger into the exposed pipe section, ensuring it’s aimed towards the clog.
- Activate the Drill: Once the auger is in position, power on the drill. As the auger spins, it will break up the debris, making it easier to remove.
- Remove Debris: After you’ve broken up the clog, slowly withdraw the auger, taking the debris with it.
- Check Flow: Once you think the clog is cleared, run water through the drain to make sure it’s flowing freely. If not, you may need to repeat the process.
- Reassemble the Drain: Finally, once the clog is completely cleared, reassemble the drain line.
Key Points to Remember
- This method is not suitable for toilets or pipes with curves and bends. For those, you’ll need a flexible cable auger or plumber’s snake.
- This drain augering technique is particularly effective for straight sections of PVC and cast-iron drain systems.
Using a drain auger in this way not only saves you the substantial cost of professional plumbing services but also eliminates the waiting time for a contractor to fit you into their schedule. So, the next time you wonder how to use an auger to unclog a drain, remember these guidelines to tackle sewer and drainage line clogs efficiently.
Discover our versatile Tree Auger & Planting Tool, designed to efficiently dig holes for bare-root trees and saplings with ease, letting you work faster and eliminating the need to bend over thanks to its ergonomic handle design. The rugged, tree-hole digger’s durable design is built to withstand challenging soil conditions and allows you to power through rocky, sandy soils as well as harder clay soil. You can even dig horizontally under sidewalks with the tree auger bit for irrigation or gutter extensions. Add a heavy-duty tip made from military-grade abrasion-resistant material for additional durability in compacted or rocky soil. This tree planting tool is available in various lengths and diameters, making it perfect for installing beach umbrellas, termite bait stations, deep root aeration and fertilization of trees, planting grass plugs and 4- or 6-pack annuals, and even bulb planting. Deep root aeration and fertilization techniques allow for improved nutrient absorption and root breathing, especially in heavy clay soils. These products fit ½-inch hex drive drills. Drill sold separately. Its compact size ensures easy storage and transport for all your planting and landscaping needs.See Full Details
Why Choose Power Planter Augers?
If supporting local businesses is important to you, then you’ll be pleased to know that Power Planter augers are produced in the USA, and our business has been operating on our family-owned farm in Illinois for three generations. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service. All of our tools are guaranteed against manufacturing and materials defects. In other words, by purchasing a Power Planter auger, you’ll be investing in a tool crafted with decades of experience, one that is certain to last you a lifetime. If you have any issues with your auger, our customer service department will be happy to help.
Whatever size auger you need, we have a variety of models in several lengths and widths. If you have a clog that needs to be removed, check out our website today and you’ll find an auger that will fit the job!