Why Rush? Plant Summer Flowering Bulbs Now
With spring days ahead, here’s a secret; spending time outdoors is one of the easiest ways to improve your mental health and well-being. The rewards are two-fold when you’re planting beautiful flower bulbs.
Those spring-planted bulbs will burst with beautiful blooms this summer, making quite a statement with little effort and are perfect for cut-flower bouquets.
There are plenty of options to choose from, but here are our top picks.
Our Favorite Bulbs to Plant This Spring:
Dahlias have become one of the most popular flowers available in a variety of sizes, colors, and designs. The more bulbs you have, the more blooms, so plant a bunch to use in your DIY bouquets. These dazzling beauties will showcase your garden anywhere you plant them. Dahlias bloom between mid-July and September.
Lilies have a gracious air to them and are always in style. They come in the options of Asiatic, Trumpet or Oriental. Mix all three types for a summer flower garden full of color that lasts through fall. Bloom time is between June and September, depending on the variety.
Known as a grandmother’s flower, begonias are a timeless choice for any garden. Most people don’t know that the begonia family is quite large, with lots of colors, shapes, and sizes. Try a wide selection including the double flower, ruffled double flower or the pendulous varieties. Bloom time starts in mid-July.
These eye-catching flowers add wonder and whimsy to gardens. Calla lilies are elegant and make good choices for containers. They come in a large variety of colors and textures to match every style. Grab varieties of calla lilies such as Flame, Captain Marrero or Ruby Sensation for a paintbrush-like look. Bloom time is between July and October.
This exquisite flower is a display itself with its layer upon layer of silky petals. It is similar to a rose and is often considered a high-end delicacy. One thing to remember is to soak the bulb in water before planting to encourage growth. Bloom time is between June and August.
Once you’ve picked your bulbs, it’s time to plant!
Plant Bulbs in 5 Simple Steps:
- Select where you want to plant your bulbs so they’ll get the right amount of sun. Choose a place where they won’t be accidentally dug up, such as under a tree or in a perennial bed.
- Use the Bulb Auger & Bedding Plant Tool to easily drill holes in well-drained soil to the depth indicated on the package. Using an auger drill will get this project done in no time. Most bulbs are planted with the rule of thumb, 2-3 times the depth of the bulb, however, some bulbs, like dahlias, need to be planted deeper so be sure to check instructions for proper planting depth.
- Before placing the bulbs, sprinkle an organic bulb fertilizer in the holes to give the bulbs a boost of nutrients.
- Replace the soil, gently pressing it down and water your newly planted bulbs.
- Cover bulbs with a layer of mulch to keep moisture in and weeds out.
Once your bulbs have bloomed, remove the faded flowers but leave the foliage. The bulbs will use it to store energy for next year.
Want to make gardening work easier. Try a Power Planter garden auger below…
This soil auger is just the right size to help you plant more flower bulbs in less time than it would take you to do by hand. The bulb planting auger is perfect for planting 3-inch potted bedding plants. Save time. Save your back. Now available in black, pink, and lime colors. Drill sold separately.See Full Details
Plant bulbs and 3-inch potted plants without kneeling or bending over. You will dig post holes, plant trees and shrubs faster than ever before with these special augers. Power Planter augers are great choice for installing beach volleyball poles and umbrellas or boring holes under sidewalks for electrical or irrigation lines. Now available in black, pink, and lime colors. *Drill sold separately.See Full Details